Pages

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

John Newton, I'm Not What I Want to Be

 John Newton, I'm Not What I Want to Be


I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am

John Newton


John Newton's statement can be broken down into several key points:


1. "I am not what I ought to be": Newton acknowledges that he falls short of the ideal or the standard of what he should be. He recognizes his imperfections and areas for improvement.


2. "I am not what I want to be": Newton expresses a desire for personal growth and further transformation. He acknowledges that there are still areas in his life where he hopes to see change and improvement.


3. "I am not what I hope to be in another world": This phrase suggests that Newton recognizes his own limitations and the potential for continued growth even beyond this earthly life. He acknowledges that his journey towards becoming the person he hopes to be will continue in the afterlife.


4. "But still I am not what I once used to be": Here, Newton reflects on his past and acknowledges that he has already experienced significant transformation. He is no longer the person he used to be, particularly in relation to his involvement in slave trading.


5. "And by the grace of God I am what I am": This statement highlights the central role of God's grace in Newton's transformation. He attributes his current state and progress to the unmerited favor and forgiveness he has received from God.


Overall, Newton's statement is a humble acknowledgment of his past, his present state of transformation, and his ongoing journey towards growth and improvement. It reflects his understanding that personal change is a process, and that God's grace plays a vital role in shaping and empowering that change.


No comments:

Post a Comment