Pages

Monday, August 3, 2026

Before Abraham Was, I Am

Understanding Jesus’ Claim in John 8:58

One of the most striking moments in the Gospel of John occurs when Jesus tells the Pharisees, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am” (John 8:58). The reaction is immediate and violent: they pick up stones to kill Him. Why did this short statement provoke such a response? And how does it relate to the name God revealed to Moses at the burning bush?

The Words Themselves

In the Greek text of John, Jesus uses the phrase ἐγώ εἰμι (ego eimi), which simply means “I am.” This is the same two-word expression that appears in the Greek Old Testament (the Septuagint) when God speaks of Himself. At the burning bush, God says to Moses, “I am who I am” (Exodus 3:14), and the Greek renders the key part as ego eimi. Even more frequently, the phrase appears in Isaiah and Deuteronomy when God declares, “I am He” — a solemn assertion of His unique, eternal identity.

Yet ego eimi was also ordinary language. Jews in Jesus’ day used it the way we use “I am” or “It is I.” A person might say “I am a teacher” or “I am the one you are looking for.” In John 9:9, the man born blind says ego eimi simply meaning “I am he” (the one who was healed). The disciples in the boat hear Jesus say the same words and understand them as “It is I; do not be afraid” (John 6:20).

So the words themselves were not forbidden or automatically divine. What made Jesus’ statement explosive was the way He used them.

The Absolute Claim

Notice the careful wording in John 8:58. Jesus does not say, “Before Abraham was, I was.” He does not say, “Before Abraham was, I existed.” He uses the present tense: “Before Abraham was [came into being], I am.”

The Greek creates a deliberate contrast. Abraham “became” or “came into existence” (genesthai). Jesus simply “is” (eimi). The statement reaches back before Abraham’s birth and asserts an ongoing, continuous existence that has no beginning. This is not a claim about longevity or preexistence in some limited sense. It is a claim to the kind of eternal being that belongs to God alone.

The Old Testament Background

Two streams of Old Testament language flow into this moment.

First is the revelation at the burning bush: “I AM WHO I AM… Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you’” (Exodus 3:14). God identifies Himself by His self-existence. He is not defined by anything outside Himself.

Second, and perhaps even more directly relevant to the ears of Jesus’ hearers, are the repeated declarations in Isaiah and Deuteronomy where God says “I am He” (ani hu in Hebrew). In these passages God asserts that He alone is the eternal One, the first and the last, the only Savior, the One who was and is and will be. No other being may rightly claim this identity.

When Jesus stands in the temple courts and says, “Before Abraham was, I am,” He is drawing on this rich background. He is not merely claiming to have lived before Abraham. He is identifying Himself with the God who revealed Himself to Moses and who declared through Isaiah, “I am He.”

Why the Stones?

The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus was saying. Their reaction was not a misunderstanding. Under the Law, claiming the unique identity of God was blasphemy, and blasphemy was punishable by stoning (Leviticus 24:16). They did not pick up stones because Jesus claimed to be a great prophet, or even the Messiah. They picked up stones because they heard a man place Himself on the same plane of eternal existence as the God of Israel.

A Clear Distinction

It is important to hold two truths together.

On one hand, the phrase “I am” was ordinary speech. Jews used it every day without claiming to be God. The mere appearance of the words does not automatically equal a divine claim.

On the other hand, context and grammar matter. When the same words are used absolutely — without a predicate — and joined to a statement of existence that precedes and transcends Abraham, the meaning shifts. The ordinary language is pressed into the service of an extraordinary claim. That is what happened in John 8:58.

What This Means

Jesus did not leave His identity ambiguous. In this single sentence He asserted that His existence is not derived, not created, and not limited by time. He stands before Abraham not as one more figure in the long line of God’s servants, but as the One who simply is — the same One who spoke from the bush and who declared through the prophets, “I am He.”

The stones that were lifted that day testify that the claim was understood. The question that remains for every reader is whether the claim is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment