I reject both Theonomic Reconstructionism (Christian Reconstructionism) and postmillennial eschatology. These systems do not align with the clear teaching of Scripture regarding the nature of Christ’s kingdom, the mission of the church, the relationship between the covenants, and the course of this present age. My convictions on these matters are the same as those long held and clearly taught by John MacArthur and others who stand in the same stream of biblical exposition.
The Kingdom of God Is Not of This World
I believe Jesus meant exactly what He said when He told Pilate, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting” (John 18:36). The kingdom Christ is building is not advanced by political power, cultural dominance, or the reconstruction of civil society according to Mosaic judicial law. As MacArthur has stated:
“Nothing that happens in any nation, whether it’s a communist nation, a Muslim nation, or a quote-unquote quasi-Christian nation, or an atheistic nation, nothing in that nation—politically, socially—has anything to do with the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Because the Kingdom of God is separate from that system.”
I fully agree. The idea that the church’s success is measured by its ability to gain influence or reshape the structures of earthly kingdoms is alien to the New Testament. God is building His church by the Spirit through the preaching of the gospel. The gates of hell will not prevail against it—but that promise is not a guarantee of cultural or political triumph in this age.
The Church’s Mission Is Gospel Proclamation, Not Cultural Reconstruction
I believe the Great Commission is a call to make disciples of all nations by baptizing them and teaching them to observe all that Christ commanded. It is not a mandate to take dominion over civil institutions or to impose the judicial laws of old-covenant Israel on modern governments. Theonomic Reconstructionism confuses these categories. It treats the civil case laws given to theocratic Israel as the abiding standard for Gentile nations today. I reject that view.
Old Testament Israel was a unique nation under a unique covenant. The ceremonial and civil aspects of the Mosaic law were bound to that particular administration and have been fulfilled and set aside in Christ. While God’s moral law remains binding and reveals His holy character, the specific judicial penalties and civil structures of Israel are not a blueprint for the church or for modern states. To insist otherwise collapses the distinction between the old covenant people of God and the multinational body of Christ in this age.
Postmillennial Optimism Contradicts Biblical Prophecy
I am a premillennialist. I believe Christ will return before the millennium to establish His kingdom in power and glory, fulfill the unconditional promises made to national Israel, and reign for a thousand years. Postmillennialism expects the opposite: a gradual, progressive Christianization of the world that produces a golden age of righteousness before Christ returns. I find that expectation incompatible with the teaching of Jesus, Paul, and John.
Scripture describes this present age as one that moves toward increasing apostasy, lawlessness, and hostility to the truth. The end of human history is not the church triumphant reigning over the kingdoms of this world. As MacArthur has put it, things are going to get worse, not better, and the hope of the believer is the appearing of Christ, not the success of Christian cultural efforts. He has said plainly:
“We don’t win down here, we lose… You were a postmillennialist, you thought we were just going to go waltzing into the Kingdom if you took over the world? No, we lose here.”
That sobering realism matches what I see in the New Testament and in the world around us.
Faithfulness Until the King Returns
I care deeply about righteousness, justice, and the moral condition of the culture. Believers are called to live as salt and light, to seek the welfare of the cities where God has placed them, and to speak the truth without fear. Civil government is ordained by God to restrain evil and reward good (Romans 13). But the church is not the state, and the state is not the church. Confusing those spheres, or pinning our hope on the reconstruction of society under biblical law, distracts from the primary mission Christ has given us.
My confidence is not in the gradual triumph of Christian influence. My confidence is in the gospel of Jesus Christ, the power of the Holy Spirit to regenerate sinners, and the certain return of the King who will set all things right. Until that day, I am called to preach the Word, make disciples, and remain faithful—regardless of whether the culture around me improves or deteriorates.
This is what I believe. It is the same conviction that John MacArthur and like-minded shepherds have labored to guard and proclaim from the Scriptures for decades. I stand with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment